Rum O'Clock…Again

After completing a Rum Diploma with Authentic Caribbean Rum at the beginning of this year in Bristol the world of Rum was opened up to me in a spectacular fashion. A day of 19 different Caribbean Rum's, networking and meeting great like minded industry folk was an experience ill never forget…

Little did i know that after completing the Diploma you could apply for the full certification course which runs in the Caribbean for a week near the end of this year. On a quiet night in my old Bar in Bath i decided to get the laptop out and really go for it. If there's anything better than imbibing in Rum culture its writing about it.

An email appeared in my inbox two weeks ago….
Isabella you've been shortlisted as a finalist for the ACR RUM CARIBBEAN TRIP in November.
Girly squeeling at my phone soon ensued and my mind began to ponder the thought of tropical shores and incredible rum experiences.

After praying to the Rum Gods for a week my life has been turned upside down… IM OFF TO THE CARIBBEAN! I have been selected as 1 of 10 out of 3000 across the globe to head to Barbados, Guyana and Trinidad & Tobago to complete my full certification.

Whilst my work pals think I'm the luckiest person to win a 'holiday' to the caribbean for a week in mid November when the UK is starting to feel the chills of the winter approach, i know this trip is going to be life changing for me, and it's far from a holiday!
With an as of yet unreleased itinerary  I'm not even sure what were doing apart from the fact that we are going to 6 distilleries in 7 days, touring the very best origins of Caribbean Rum.

I can't actually believe it….


As my mind begins to excite on all the incredible things I'm going to learn, the people I'm going to meet and the places i'll travel, i wanted to give you guys a taste of my favourite Rum cocktails. my real 'go to' tipples for every occasion. I want to see how my tastes change once i know the processes the rum i often drink goes through, how a humble sugar cane plant can produce such different spirits and why it tastes the way it does.

Don't forget all the spirits and syrups i mention in this post can be purchased from my favourite boozy people www.masterofmalt.com


The El Presidente
This old school cocktail takes its name in honour of President Gerado Machado and quickly became the drink of Cuba's Upper Class, its sweet, hearty and clean.

50ml Doorly's XO Rum
20ml Curacao
10ml Grenadine
20ml Cocci Americano Blanco

Give it a good stir with lots of super chilled ice, crack some orange zest over the top and drop a maraschino cherry into the glass.






The Pina Colada

Yes this bad boy has come back around in the revolving trend scene, although many may say its 'back out' again its always a favourite of mine and many of my customers. When you are able to refine your own recipe it makes it even more fun. I like to add a pinch of salt to settle the pineapple juice slightly, it compliments the creamy texture of it all.

My Pina Colada

50ml Koko Kanu
25ml Double Cream
25ml Whole Milk
1 small pinch of salt
50ml Pineapple Juice
10ml Lime Juice

Either whack it in a blender or just give it a good shake, to never fails to impress. #getmetothebeach




Fish House Punch

No this recipe does not contain fish, but drink enough and you may be likley to punch someone ;)
(please drink responsibly)

This recipe is an old favourite for big summer parties, its full of zing and sweet stone fruit flavours.
This recipe makes 1 serving but increase the quantities for party punch bowls and serve with a ladle.

25ml Martell VS Cognac
25ml Mount Gay Eclipse
15ml Briotette Creme de Peche
15ml Lemon Juice
10ml Sugar Syrup
50ml Cold Water

grate a little nutmeg on the top and give it a squirt of lemon zest- Gorgeously refreshing



Eclipse Swizzle

This Swizzle contains my favourite liqueur- Velvet Falernum, a kaffir lime leaf zesty and herbal liqueur that marries so well with good Caribbean rum in any cocktail.

50ml Mount Gay XO
25ml Taylors Velvet Falernum (or make your own!)
10ml Lime Juice
2 dash Angostura Bitters
(If you find this is a little too strong for your palate why not whack a little OJ into the mix?)

Add it all into a hefty mixing glass full of ice, use a swizzle stick (pictured below) or the end of a long bar spoon to churn up and swizzle the ice till your glass is really iced up.  If you're feeling a bit 70's why not use a plastic swizzle stick, the ones with the pink giraffes and parrots on the top? You all know the ones I'm talking about. Whatever way you decide to do it this process creates a really fun and entertaining way of diluting the ice into the mixture, and it makes a gorgeous drink.

Check out this article from The Wall Street Journal if you're interested in the Physics of the swizzle technique http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-physics-of-cool-swizzle-cocktail-recipes-1411153611



Thats all for now folks, hope you enjoy a few of these recipes… I'm off to the Caribbean!


Comments